Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Reflection: International Coastal Cleanup 2011

The planning of this year's International Coastal Cleanup actually had more workload involved compared to last years ICC, but because of we were much more aware of what was needed this year, and the fact that we started planning a little more than a month before the actual event, preparation went a lot smoother and was less stressful this year.


To start of, my personal task of being the Transportation manager was a little less hectic compared to being in charge of managing the people/volunteers last year. This year my main job was to simply wait for the volunteer managers to let me know the number of people who are going to be needing the school bus for transportation during the day of the event, divide them into sections, then finally pass the message to Mr Davis for him to handle the rest. However, I ended up doing more than just that. I also had to segregate the master list for the students who volunteered into their grade/sections and distribute the necessary amount of permission slips to their homeroom teachers and announcing the details for the event during chapel. I also ended up helping with the gathering of the supplies needed such as trash bags and latex gloves. In the end, the organizing committee were completely ready around a week before the actual event and I was just doing last minute checkups during my meetings with Ms Pascual. From what I heard, (since I wasn't able to make it to the event due to my ACET), it was raining very hard during the event, but people still stayed and cleaned up for a couple of hours. 


It would've been nice to actually help clean up that day, and I was really looking forward to doing so, as Ocean Conservancy is something that is very important to me, growing up near a beach and being a big fan of marine animals. However, whenever I do to go a beach, or anywhere for that matter, I do try to pick up trash that's just lying around. Hopefully next year, if I am still in Subic or even anywhere in the world where the International Coastal Cleanup is taking place at, I can take part of this event and maybe even join the school again in this yearly event. 

1 comment:

  1. Has this experience changed you in any way? How?

    What was the point of the whole project? Did it matter to you that you weren't able to attend the actual event?

    What does Ocean Conservancy mean for you? Is there any other concrete way you can contribute to this cause aside from being at the actual cleanup? Since you missed it, are you planning to do anything to follow this up?

    ReplyDelete