Sunday, August 21, 2011

CAS Proposal Form 8 (International Coastal Cleanup 2011)

Student’s
Name 
     Armand Mendoza
Supervisor’s Name
Ms. Pascual     
Year 12
Activity Name
     International Coastal Cleanup 2011
Date(s) / Duration of Activity
     September 2011

What is my past experience with this activity?
     Last year, I was part of the organizing committee for the ICC 2010. I was in charge of organizing the volunteers; getting them the permissions slips, spreading the event around at school, rounding them up and encouraging people to volunteer. On the actual day, I was also helping with the attendance of the volunteers and informing them on what they had to do that day.
What new learning or skill do I hope to pick up or develop?
     I hope to just give out a helping hand to the organizing committee since I am the only one in the committee this year who’s had a past experience with the ICC. Although I won’t be making it to the actual clean-up day, I hope to learn and develop my skill in communicating and organizing and meeting deadlines so that the logistics of the event will run smoothly.
How will this experience be different from that of the past?
     It will be different first of all, because this time I won’t actually make it to the day of the event itself so my efforts will be solely for preparation. However, I still hope to contribute and share my past experience from this event to make it easier for the newcomers in the organizing committee.
How am I going to know if I am making progress in achieving the goal/s I have set?
     Well, an obvious way to measure that I am making progress is if I am not scrambling around campus last minute, worrying about deadlines and reservations with transportation. If I truly did my job correctly and ahead of time, I should have nothing to worry about. On the day itself, transportation should not be a big confusion.
Goals  What is/are your goal/s for this activity? What do you hope to achieve?
     My goals are to first contribute anything useless from what I learned from last year’s ICC to make things easier to organize. Second, is to of course organize the transportation of the event, make reservations for the buses on the day of the event, find out how many volunteers there will be and how they plan on getting there, and to make sure everything runs smoothly on the day.
Impact  Who will benefit from this activity? How?
     The students will definitely enjoy and benefit from this activity, as it promotes teamwork, and encourages recycling, and positive habits such as segregating trash, and also raises awareness towards an ongoing global issue. Obviously, the world itself will benefit as millions of people will also be cleaning beaches worldwide, and hopefully it will pose a bigger impact on people, encouraging proper waste disposal.
Timeline  Where, how often, and for how long will the activity take place? (specific dates whenever possible)
     Planning from August 17 to September 16, however, I will not be there on the actual event due to some conflicts with College Entrance Exams

No comments:

Post a Comment