Thursday, March 22, 2012

Reflection: ISAC Boy's Volleyball 2012

WE DA CHAMPSSSS!

I did not intend to start off my reflection like this, but the feeling is just amazing. I'll breakdown what happened this ISAC game after game:

BISS vs BISB
This was a crucial game. We needed this first win for our confidence, for our school pride and for ourselves, and admittedly for my own personal desire for revenge against them from the ISAC volleyball finals. We played our hearts out, and just like we imagined, the crowd was a HUGE help. We played AMAZING trap and help defense, and forced Baguio to turn the ball over many times. Our shots were going in and their players were getting fouled early in the game. We took advantage of this and attacked the basket hard, going to the line and making free throws. We shocked Baguio and struck fear among the other teams. I played well, got some steals, passed the ball around and made my free throws. We were PUMPED UP. We beat Baguio 36-19.

BISS vs BISM
It was our 2nd game for the first day of the tournament. Brent Manila has always had shooters in their team and were very aggressive on the court. We played hard, drove hard to the hoop and applied our 4-2 trap defense. We faced a few bumps on the road, their coaches were complaining and so were their players. I got into a small scuffle with one of the players when I told him to calm down, he shouted and cursed at me. My coach told me to let it go and to act like a gentleman, and I obeyed. In the end, our defense and our aggressiveness towards the rim beat their messy half court trap and 3 point shots. We beat BISM 32-20.

BISS vs BSM
Today was the 2nd day of the ISAC tournament. Our first game was another crucial game, a chance to prove ourselves, and a chance to make a stand against the defending ISAC Basketball Champions. We started the game off with a fast pace, hard pressure defense, and a lot of running. We scored most of our initial points through fast breaks and driving hard to the basket. In the second half, we turned up a notch, and our whole team was sinking shots from all over the place. It felt as if we were really one with our home court and there was really an obvious home court advantage in our feel for the court, and from our ever so helpful home crowd. We even saw our supportive 2nd grader reading buddies watching us play on the court. BSM was completely baffled and exhausted from us, they couldn't keep up with us. We beat BSM 50-31.

BISS vs SISC
Southville was looking good from their previous games so we were not gonna take them lightly. We warmed up just as hard as we did against BSM and although a little excited from our winning streak, we were prepared to dominate once again. Mr Thompson decided to try a new defensive strategy, where it would be 4 on 5 at the half court with one guy staying in the backcourt to cherry pick. We tried it out in the opening minutes, but it didn't quite work out. I felt like our team was designed and was more effective in a team help defense with continuous support from all 5 jerseys on the court. We were struggling in the early minutes, so we switched back to our normal defense. Southville's point guard was very good with distributing the ball and was also sinking a lot of shots inside. It was a close match and we were down with less than a minute left in the 4th quarter. However, Southville's coach saved us after he was called a technical for rolling around on the floor after a bad call from the ref. We got 2 free shots and ball possession. With just 3.6 seconds left on the clock, my teammate, Javier, was fouled and he made 1 out of 2 free throws, winning the game for us, 31-30. A close game, but still a well deserved win. Like Mr Thompson said, "champions find a way to win the ugly games."

BISS vs FAM
By the 3rd game of the day, after facing 2 strong teams, we were exhausted. Our starters, particularly were really tired. We were struggling early in the game, missing our shots and our free throws. Mr Thompson gave the starters a rest, and played our other teammates including me. I had to play point guard, a position that I had lost familiarity with from playing shooting guard for most of the season. It was tough, but I tried my best and we had some good looks. However, FAM was increasing their lead until they were up by around 15 points. In the last quarter, the starters got back in and scored 11 points in the last 2 minutes, leaving FAM scoreless in the entire quarter. Unfortunately, it was not enough time to win the game. We lost our first game of the tournament yet we kept our heads high as we were still secured a spot in the semifinals and were currently at the number 1 seed. It was a good battle with FAM, 32-36.

BISS vs EIS
By the 3rd day of the tournament, our team was getting cuts and bruises, swollen ankles, and sore backs, but it was the most crucial day of the tournament. Our first game of the day was against EIS. It was an UGLY game. EIS was fouling us hard throughout the entire game, and by the end of the game, they were down to only 4 players because the others were either fouled out, or ejected for unsportsman-like conduct. However, there were some positives as well. First, our squad was very well balanced for this game, saving a lot of energy for the latter games in the day, and having a lot of fun with different combinations. I had a nice and1 in this game and a couple of layups, however I was having trouble at the free throw line making only 3 out of 12 free throws. Terrible. I was determined to fix that for the more important games that were to come. We won the game, 43-18.

BISS vs FAM (Semi-Finals)
This was a very important game for us. We had to win this to move on to the Finals. It was our chance to redeem ourselves from our loss against them in the previous day. We played our defense a little bit more intensely and aggressively in this game, drove a little harder to the hoop and took a lot more shots (and followed them for the rebound). We played a great game, shutting down FAM's offense, and playing off from our defense for the quick layups. I made my free throws in this game, and played defense as best as I could. The home crowd helped us big time. It was also nice to see my family watch me play as well, it was a good motivator. We beat FAM, 35-30. WE IN THE FINALSSSSS!


BISS vs BISB (Finals)
This was it. Our final game against Baguio for the championship. We worked so hard for 6 weeks to get here, and we made it this far. It was our last chance to prove that we were the best team, and my last chance to play in an ISAC game. I was going to give it my all. The first quarter was intense, Baguio was attacking our hoop strong, they were making their jumpshots, and one of their players were on fire with the 3 pointers. We retaliated with our trap defense, and also drove hard back against them. By the 2nd quarter, we were shooting more jumpshots than driving to the hoop, luckily, we were making it. Every second I was on the court, I gave it my all, played the best defense I could play, took it to the hoop when I saw an opening and dished it out selflessly if I spotted an open teammate. By the 3rd quarter, our coach put on of my teammates, Cyron, on their hot-handed shooter. He shut him down until the end of the game. The guy was shooting airballs and was missing most of his shots. We capitalized on their turnovers and missed shots, and were rebounding the ball like crazy, (particularly one of my teammates, Milo). Our slashers, Manu and Javier were attacking the hoop strong, fouling out one of their key players. Our 11 point deficit from the 1st half was erased by the end of the 3rd quarter. The game was getting more and more intense, and both teams were showing signs of fatigue, yet neither teams were willing to give up their chance for the gold. In the fourth quarter, Baguio was able to sneak a couple of shots inside from their big men, but our slashers kept driving hard to the hoop, putting Baguio in penalty, giving us plenty of shots at the line. We continued to play our trap defense and proved to be effective until the very last minute. In the last  minute of the game, the score was tied 66-66, and Baguio had 3 attempts to score, to no avail. My teammate, Brian, got a crucial rebound with only a couple of seconds remaining on the clock and passed the ball to Manu. He drove hard to the hoop with less than 5 seconds remaining and got a shot up with a foul. The shot went in, and we were up 68-66 with less than a second left on the clock. He missed the freethrow, but WE WON THE FINALS by 2 points! It was insane. I never felt such a feeling in my life. I was crying from the joy and excitement from what our team has just accomplished. Lights were flashing, the crowd was roaring, and my teammates were rejoicing. It was a truly incredible and unforgettable moment. I felt a sort of vindication from our loss against Baguio in the finals for volleyball earlier in the year. It was just awesome.


The three biggest things I learned from this experience can be summed up as the 3 C's:

Courage, Composure, Class

These are the things that I will never forget from this experience, and are things that I wish to continue to keep in mind, not only during competitions, but for everything that I do and everything that I say. Thank you to my teammates and to my coaches for an unforgettable season. What a way to end my last ISAC and my high school sports career.

P.S. We also ended up winning Overall ISAC Champions. I truly am proud to be a Razorback and to have been part of the ISAC finals for all three sports this season. Hard work really does pay off.

1 comment: