Tuesday, September 7, 2010

(A) Response to Comment [Vball]

What is it about setting that you're having difficulty with? What's wrong with your sets? Try to break down the skill into its individual components and identify which ones you are doing well and which ones need more work. The same can be said for learning how to soft block. What do you know about it? Have you tried to learn about it outside of training time? =)


I have trouble pushing the ball to the "open" area. I'm pretty much set for setting quicks and C's and 3's since it doesn't require me to push the ball. The reason I have difficulty with setting is because I've gotten into the habit of catching the ball near my face which hinders me from pushing the ball successfully. I'm confident with setting the ball except for the open, which is actually for our team is the most important spot to learn since we use it the most during games because we haven't gotten to the point where we dictate the plays that we initiate on the court (since our 1st ball receiving isn't always up to par) 


Now with soft blocking, it's a much harder task and I rarely get the chance to practice it since we don't have many hitters who can spike the ball straight down consistently. Hopefully, this coming Friday, there will be plenty of good hitters who I can practice my blocking against.


For that last question, the answer is No, I haven't been practicing outside of training time simply because I have other priorities to worry about besides volleyball. (not that volleyball isn't important :p)





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts, Armand.

    Now that you've identified what you're struggling with, what can you do to fix it?

    "Have you tried to learn about it outside of training time? =)" - What I meant by this was have you tried reading up on it, or at least search for videos of other players using it? You can only practice this during training (realistically) but it doesn't mean you can't learn about it at home, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To fix my setting difficulties I probably just need to catch the ball above my head, and use my legs to push as well. And yes I did research a little bit on how to soft block. It says on the site: "A well-executed soft-block is performed by jumping and placing one's hands above the net with no penetration into the opponent's court and with the palms up and fingers pointing backward." I would like to try doing this on Friday's games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After this week, I did accomplish my goal of being able to set open consistently. I have also learned how to do other variations such as back quicks, shoots, stacks, and a halfway shoot. As for soft blocking, I was able to check the ball a few times last Friday during the games, but I haven't successfully done a clean soft block. Hopefully I can keep practicing that and apply on the upcoming Saturday tournament.

    ReplyDelete